Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rhodesian Hippo, scratch build APC


Here is my scratch built Hippo anti-mine troop carrier. The Rhodesians used all kinds of anti-mine vehicles but I chose to build this one because it seemed to be the easiest with all the straight lines (technically this one was built in South Africa and used by their army as well as the Rhodesians). This is the first vehicle I have ever done completely from the ground up.....so it has its MAJOR flaws. It is built from bass wood, cardboard, paper, plumbers epoxy and wheels ripped off some matchbox cars.....and alot of Super Glue.


I learned alot building it, mainly what NOT to do. It wont win any modeling contests, but I think it will work fine on the wargames table. I simplified it in the extreme, aiming at getting the general "look". A real "model" is way beyond my skill right now. Cost was zero as all the junk I just had laying around. I intend to make other Rhodesian vehicles later, Rhino, Crocodile and a Pookie mine detection vehicles are all ones I would like to do but all look really tricky to pull off.
I had 2 really bad photos to work off of. Later I found a 3rd pic and realized that I built the rear wrong (the 2 pics were of the side and front). The real one had a very simple solid double door....so this one is the Hippo "XLT", built by Van Jolden & Sons in Joburg.....never heard of them?....well they were a small company.....really small.....known for their fancy back doors......anyway, Im leaving it the way it is even though its not accurate because ,to be honest, I'm tired of working on it.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Looks great Jason, I would like to order 3!

Dave