Saturday, February 2, 2008

FRELIMO troops


My latest troops are FRELIMO, from Mozambique. Rhodesian Security Forces often clashed with FRELIMO on cross-border operarions against ZANLA camps in Mozambique. FRELIMO dress could take a variety of forms: a khaki uniform, ex-Portugese uniforms, and comunist bloc uniforms (Soviet cammo, East German rain-drop cammo etc.), but I have chosen to paint these guys in a denim uniform that was common.


In "Selous Scouts: Top Secret War" by Peter Stiff, there are several pictures of Selous Scouts wearing Frelimo "denim".
I'm not 100% satisfied with the outcome, I found denim to be extremely irritating to paint. Never quite got the exact look. But I think these fellows will pass as FRELIMO.



Being denim clad, they could also be used as a well uniformed and equiped group of ZANLA. I read an account (cant remember if it was "Fire Force" or "Selous Scouts") of a ZANLA group that was responsible for several attacks on farms being dressed in denim.





Heres a picture of the whole group. Searching for a Selous Scout recon team no doubt.

This picture is mainly to showcase my newly made "scraggely African trees". Cost all of about 8 cents each to make. The trunks are just sticks from the woods outside my house. The foliage is Naturals Floral Moss, from Wal-Mart. I think that the green and dead brown color looks pretty good for Africa. Ive made about 20 so far but these 3 are the only ones that I had gotten the bases almost done. The bases I made with epoxy putty in the plumbing section of Wal-Mart, with pennies in the bottom for weight.
My next group will be a group of ZIPRA/ZANLA. Once I get more terain I will post a battle report. At present I am casting about for some rules. I have several but am not sure which one works the best for this period.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Great trees Jason, Africa specific terrain is a great idea. What figs did you use for the Selous scouts?

terrific site

Dave